CELEBRATING ONE YEAR AS THE PEOPLE’S REPRESENTATIVE
Exactly 365 days ago, I was inaugurated as the Representative of the good people of Eti-Osa Federal Constituency at the National Assembly.
I swore to an oath, committing myself towards discharging a qualitative representation for my constituency.
The last 365 days as your elected Representative at the Green Chamber has been a great learning curve for me in all ramifications. I am proud to say that I have maximized every avenue availed to me in touching the lives of the people of my constituency.
As a first timer in the House, I was selected as the Deputy Chairman of the House Committee on Steel. I am also a member of the House Committees on Appropriation, Insurance, Navy, Rules and Business, Sports and Human Rights. I was elected the Vice Chairman of the Young Parliamentarian Forum (YPF) and I had the privilege to represent Nigeria at the YPF Conference in Paraguay in September 2019 and the YPF Commonwealth Conference in London, January 2020.
As Committee members, we are required to oversee the Executive arm of Government as bound by the Constitution. While on oversight duties, I did the following:
- Visited NYSC Orientation Camps across the nation with the House Committee on Youth Development to assess condition of the camps and give necessary reports and recommendations.
- Visited Naval Dockyards and Bases with the House Committee on Navy to observe operations and inspect facilities.
- I also visited a few sporting facilities with the House Committee on Sports.
As part of my responsibilities as a Lawmaker, I participated in some debates of urgent national importance wherein I argued in support of the need to Increase Budgetary Allocation to the Health Sector.
I moved several motions towards a better development of the Eti-Osa Federal Constituency and Nigeria at large . The motions include:
- A Motion On The Deplorable Conditions Of Armed Forces, Police And Paramilitary Barracks in Nigeria, particularly in Eti-Osa Federal Constituency as it houses the highest number of barracks in the country.
- Need To Urgently Address Odd Practices And Delay Tactics Perpetrated By Public Universities Which Affect Timely Completion Of Post Graduate Programmes Of Students In The Universities, and
- Co-sponsored and seconded a Motion On The Immortalization Of Dr Stella Ameyo Adadevoh
Eti-Osa Federal Constituency is arguably one of the largest Constituency in Nigeria. It boasts of over three million inhabitants spanning from Obalende all the way to Majek, extending beyond Sangotedo. So far, I have recorded the following achievements in a bid to improve the lives of the constituents since the assumption of office:
- Organised a summer coaching class for primary and secondary school students within Eti-Osa Federal Constituency
- Distributed UTME forms for students within the constituency
- Empowered SMEs within the constituency
- Organised Skills Acquisition Programme where constituents learnt catering, cosmetology and tailoring
- Donated motorcycles to different estates within the constituency to enhance security patrol in their communities
- Secured employment for some constituents.
- Secured admission placement for some of the children of the constituents into tertiary and basic institutions respectively.
- Secured training slots with ITF for artisans within the constituency
- Succeeded in securing redeployment for Youth Corps members in the constituency posted to volatile areas for their NYSC
- Construction of a Primary Healthcare Centre in Lafiaji area of Eti-Osa. (work in progress )
As the battle against the COVID-19 pandemic continues in the height of the lockdown, Members of the House of Representatives donated funds to the Federal Government as COVID-19 Relief Fund.
- Contributed financially as part of the 24 Lagos Caucus members of the House of Representatives to the Lagos State Government in support of the fight against COVID-19.
- Partnered with The People’s Food Bank in feeding over 1000 constituents every day for four weeks during the COVID-19 lockdown.
- Distributed over 1000 bags of rice, garri and beans as palliatives to constituents during the COVID-19 lockdown.
Gave cash palliative to constituents to cushion the effects of the COVID-19 lockdown.
- Distributed over 3000 pieces of hand sanitizers to public and private establishments and resident associations within Eti-Osa towards the prevention of COVID-19.
- Submitted over 350 names of our constituents to the FG to benefit from the CCT, HFP and N-Power initiatives.
I am grateful to God, my immediate family, the leadership and members of my great party (APC), my team and the good people of Eti-Osa for entrusting me with the mandate to serve. I remain committed to serving you all to the best of my ability as your Representative. My heartfelt appreciation also goes to my Honourable colleagues for creating a pleasant working environment.
Thank you and God bless!
Rep. Ibrahim Babajide Obanikoro.